Friday, September 7, 2012

Gail Werner: Paintings at Stone Rose Gallery from September 15 to October 13

Long Beach artist Gail Werner will have a solo show of her paintings at the newly-opened Stone Rose Gallery in downtown Long Beach, with an opening reception on Saturday, September 15th from 7 to 9PM.  The gallery is located at 342 East 4th Street in Long Beach.

Here's Werner's Artist's Statement:
  
I am currently working in oil paint on wood panel, sometimes incorporating pencil and Prismacolor.  At times I work from a small quick sketch or painting, but at other times I lay down thin washes of color, and the painting evolves from there. Seeking to find a balance between the abstract and representational, I apply paint expressively while, at the same time, rendering some of the images more realistically.

                                                 "Desert Wash II," oil and pencil on wood panel, 36"x 24"   2011
 
My work reflects the landscape and cultural imagery related to my Native American background.  My tribal affiliation is with the Cupeño, Luiseño, and Diegeño tribes located in southern California.  Many of the elements found in my work such as color, light, and plant and animal life are influenced by the southern California desert and mountain landscape. Native American rock art, pottery and basket designs specific to this area also make their way into my work.  

My work is also influenced by southern California Native American stories and songs, especially the creation stories and traditional “bird songs.” These stories and songs often incorporate plant and animal life as the characters.  They reflect a dreamlike, evolving world telling how the world came to be and how the people came to be where they are.  My paintings reflect that world:  images appear to float, or their scale is exaggerated.

                                                  "Bird Dreams VI," encaustic on wood panel, 12"x 9" 2012

Landscape, color, light and imagery, abstract designs, stories and songs—all of these elements merge together for me to evoke a sense of place.
 

 To see more of Werner's art, visit her website: http://www.gailwernerart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment